Friday, November 9, 2012

"And, after all, what is a lie?" - Lord Byron


After reading chapters sixteen and seventeen I looked through my classmates' blogs as a means of inspiration, since I had no idea what to write of. I then noticed that many, including Daniel Solano's and Lina Merizalde's assessed the importance of identifying that someone had good values and is looking out for our needs. However, all I could think about while reading the chapters was how much I wanted to be as convincing as the salesman mentioned in chapter sixteen. Considering Heinrichs is a rhetorician, he shouldn't be trying to break such a persuasive person. If I were him, I would be complimenting the salesman non-stop. But no: He decides to focus on how the salesman isn't looking out for Heinrich's mom's satisfaction, and even creates an imaginary conversation in which his mom ultimately humiliates the salesman, or at least shuts him up in a rude, uncalled for manner ("If I look at it [the pool table], will you take me to the shirt department (P. 175)?").

Let's face the ugly truth: No one will ever look out solely for your own needs and not his/her own. Yes, not even parents, otherwise they'd give you all their food so only your needs could be fulfilled. So why would a salesman, of all people, want the best for you? Thus when buying something, you shouldn't even ask yourself whether the salesperson is completely disinterested and selfless and only cares about your needs. I mean, why would he? He has his own life to carry out. So why would he put a stranger's over his own? But by all means, this salesman shouldn't be humiliated. It's his duty, for God's sake! And he's doing a great job at it, I must add! He convinced a woman of buying an item that was probably at least four times the price of the one she was originally considering!

So, I don't understand why Heinrichs is focusing this chapter on how not to be like his mom. I mean, you shouldn't have to be taught how to not let people convince you of something you don't want. If you don't want it, you won't buy it. Otherwise, even a small part of you must have wanted it in the first place. Not buying it in the end, consists mainly of a strongly set mind. What Heinrichs decides to teach is simply some extra information that most people won't need if they have enough will power and clarity of what they want. However, I believe that what he should be teaching us, is how to be like that amazing salesman! That guy probably didn't even get education on rhetoric, and yet he is so good at it. So Heinrichs: Don't criticize him, pay tribute to him and teach us how to be that good. Because selling is even harder than saying no, as this video further demonstrates:
*No need to watch the entire thing. With just a minute, you'll get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment